- We currently have five Geography tutors, ensuring a good tutor to student ratio
- Our tutors specialise in a wide range of topics across human, environmental and physical geography
- We take teaching seriously! Professor Richard Washington recently received a prestigious teaching excellence award from the University, and within the last year the college has also welcomed Professor Sarah Whatmore – head of the University’s School of Geography and Environment (SOGE) – into its fold. The Senior Tutor at Keble, Dr Ali Rogers, was a Fellow and tutor in Geography at Keble and taught for more than 15 years in the college.
- Keble geographers achieve consistently high marks in examinations, enabling them to pursue further study and a range of successful careers
- In the 2010 final examinations, 40% of our third years achieved First Class degrees (the average for all colleges was 25%)
- Keble students have claimed the top place in University-wide final exams four times in the last six years. We maintain a list of students, running from 1979, who have achieved distinctions in Prelims (First Year exams) and Finals
- Our geographers undertake an impressive array of dissertation topics: in 2009, a Keble student claimed the prize for best dissertation in the University
- Keble Geography offers several prizes staged throughout the three years of study. The most prestigious prizes are the Gordon Smith Prize for the top second year student, the Gordon Smith Dissertation prize for excellent research in the second year dissertation and the Geography subject prize, awarded at the start of second year based on the Prelims (First Year exams) performance. In addition we regularly award book prizes for performance in college exams. We maintain a list of those awarded prizes on our website.
- Keble admits at least 8 Geography undergraduates each year, making it one of the largest Geography colleges in the university
- The high intake allows for a vibrant geography community within the college – good geography socials, dinners, and plenty of people suffering a jointly timed essay crisis!
- As a big college (around 400 undergrads) Keble has a lot to offer, wherever your interests may lie; the college also has an impressive array of on-site facilities
- The College guarantees accommodation (mostly en-suite / shared bathroom between two) for at least the first two years, and almost everyone can live in during their third year
- Keble is conveniently located just a few minutes’ walk from the Geography department (where lectures are held), stands directly opposite the main geography library, and is extremely close to the centre of Oxford
- Keble Geography tutors arrange several events in the course of the year for Geography students. Recently students have accompanied tutors to a Parliamentary Seminar at the House of Commons in London, and on a trip to BMW’s MINI manufacturing plant in nearby Cowley. Both the college and the Keble Association provide financial support for these events, and indeed for other field trips organised by the department.